Tuesday, October 14, 2008

a little miracle

I know those of you who've talked to me over the past two years that we've been here in Athens know how much we have relied on the Lord to help us through some difficult financial times. We really, truly, have survived on the miracles and the blessings of paying our tithing. And this afternoon was just another example.

I was looking at our bank account this afternoon and fretting just a bit about our finances. (Ok, more than "just a bit" - I was seriously about to have a mental break down.) We are not quite half-way through the month and there was barely enough money left in our account to cover our tithing check that will probably clear some time this week. And we still have bills and groceries and gas for two more weeks that we need to pay for! As I was stressing out, I was concerned that there was a dramaturgy job I finished a month or so ago, that I still hadn't been paid for. I was about to write a desperate email to the theatre that owed me a paycheck, when suddenly and very calmly a voice came to my mind that said, 'just go check the mailbox.'

I was eager as I walked down the driveway hill, and when the first envelope I noticed after opening the mailbox was stamped "Salt Lake City, UT" I knew the Lord had heard our humble prayers. This was the paycheck we were waiting for, and I was so thankful that I listened to the spirit, that the Lord sent us this blessing yet again, and that we will now be able to pay our bills this month. I'm so grateful for tithing!

3 comments:

MommaG said...

Wow, Shelley! Your story is a testimony to paying your tithing. I must admit we've been in the same spot before, and I've had more than my share of momentary breakdowns. Somehow or another, we've always made it through, and I attribute that to our paying tithing.

Emily H. said...

Yeah, Shell, there is no question why Heavenly Father looks after you and your family- you guys are so amazing and we look up to you more than you know! What awesome examples you are of not only paying tithing but striving each day to live righteously with never-ending faith! Thanks for sharing your story! :)

Elizabeth said...

rock on.

that is extreme example of the feeling I get when I'm at the movie theater and I've finished all my popcorn -- then when I put the bucket down I see all these morsels in the creases of my shirt and around my thighs. YES!!!