Tuesday, August 26, 2008

eating lunch with my girls...

So every day I scramble to get lunch on the table for hungry girls, especially right after Livvy gets home from preschool - Rylie is already clambering into her seat shouting "It's ready! It's ready!" as soon as she sees me walk over to the paper plates on the counter. By the time I get lunch on the table for them they are "SO starving." Today was a perfect example. I got their food ready and they started eating. I warmed up a bowl of leftovers for my lunch. And as I sat down at the table to eat my lunch, Rylie had finished already and climbed up on the table across from me, staring at the bowl.

"Rylie's? Rylie's?"
"No, Rylie, that's mommy's lunch. Are you still hungry?"

(by now she's lying on her tummy on the table, leaning her face into the bowl)

"I eat it. A bite? A bite?"

(I give her one.)

"Oh, hot-cha mot-cha! Blow it. Mommy. Blow it."

(she begins "blowing" with her two front teeth pressed against her bottom lip making a loud, spitty "fffffff" sound)

"Ok, Rylie. That's enough. That's enough. I'll blow it."
"Oooh. Yum Yum. The meat!"

(she starts picking through the rice to find all the pieces of hamburger. she moves around the bowl and sits in my lap. she takes my fork.)

"Rylie do it. MMmmm."

(now cold, spitty hamburger and rice pieces are falling all over the carpet and my lap. I've given up trying to eat my own lunch.)

1 comments:

Jennie said...

I never get to eat my lunch either until the boys are already finished and then I end up having to get them cleaned up and down, and then, well you know how it goes.