Wednesday, January 28, 2009

time to potty train?

So this morning Rylie came into the living room and said, "Oops - my diaper is falling off!" So she unzipped her jammies, took off her diaper, and said, "Hey, where are my wipees?" Then she found the wipes, took one, cleaned her own bum (she was just wet, thankfully!) and grabbed a new diaper. Had it been a pull-up she might have been able to complete the process all on her own.  Too bad she's terrified of the toilet...Do we really want to start this before the new baby is born? Do I put her in pull-ups during the day and "test the waters"? Or do I chalk it up to a smarty pants who likes to be independent, but don't push the potty training yet?

6 comments:

Emily H. said...

oh potty training. i'm trying to potty train Isaac. yikes. I am just no good at this. potty training Noelle was like a year long process and I so don't want that with Isaac. He loves the potty but just can't feel when he's about to pee. What do I do then? Your email was funny shell- you did add me on your family/friend list... thank goodness- I feel so special now! Hey I'm meeting with Noelle's principal tomorrow. I let you know how it goes!

Emily H. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GeorgiaBecksteads said...

If you put them in pull-ups it's hard for them to go back (Jake was in them for a year - way more expensive than diapers!) Oh, and if she's terrified of toilets - don't put her on one that flushes automatically (Alyssa regressed for 3 months!) Good luck. I don't want to go there yet myself.

Shanda said...

Do you have a little potty or a ring to go on the big potty? We worked hard to get Caitlyne potty trained before Kimberly was born & then afterwords I wasn't good about helping her so we slipped back into diapers. I agree that I don't like pull ups. But maybe during the day you could let her wear panties & then a diaper at night. Try a little potty and let her decide if she likes it. We just bought a pink one for Kimmy and she enjoys sitting on it, but she'll only sit on it on her terms. So, we're not really in the training phase yet, just getting her interested. Good luck!

Elizabeth said...

Being the mother of four that I'm not, I say you try and forge a friendship between Rylie and the toilet. Maybe they could have a heart to heart - just lay their feelings out on the line. Rylie is being too quick to judge. The adage is most true of our porcelain neighbor - a friend, in need, is a friend indeed! Try talking some sense into that girl.

RitzFamilyHappenings said...

Yes, steer clear of the automatic flushes when potty training...Kaitlyn still hates them!